Reports to: Volunteer Services Coordinator at Ames Public Library and United Ways of Iowa AmeriCorps Program Manager.
Service Position Summary:
This position performs work related activities for all aspects of library service such as programming, customer service, community relations, data collection, and producing supplemental materials including program listings.
· Assists with selection, placement, and scheduling of youth volunteers.
· Coordinates daily activities for middle and high school aged youth in the summer volunteer program, including volunteer training, scheduling, developing work flow, assigning tasks and assessing task completion, and developing plan for recognition.
· Assists in coordination and implementation of Food for Kids and Teens
· Plans, prepares, and presents programs for outdoor and indoor story times based on established protocol.
· Participates in special projects such as helping to plan activities for the Ames Public Library fun day/lock-in for teens.
· Participates in site-specific meetings, trainings, and/or professional development opportunities
· Strong interest in education, specifically helping young children develop their reading skills
· Experience working with children
· Dedication to community service
· Speak, read, and write English fluently
· Responsible, organized, flexible, motivated, professional
· Ability to make a commitment to complete full term of service (May 14, 2018 – August 24, 2018 – a minimum of 450 hours)
· High school diploma or GED
· U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident
· Successful completion and clearance through required background checks. Members serving under this position description are expected to have regular, scheduled, and anticipated recurring access to vulnerable populations through their service and, as such, are required to have a three-part background check.
· Preferred: College coursework, college degree, or equivalent work experience
· Availability from May 14, 2018 – August 24, 2018
· Participates in AmeriCorps Orientation and required trainings
· Timely submission of semi-monthly timesheet to report service hours
· Completion of a minimum of 450 service hours by August 24, 2018
· Ability to serve five days (Monday-Friday) each week for approximately 8 hours/day and an occasional Saturday
Benefits: AmeriCorps members are eligible to earn a living stipend of $3,164 paid in equal installments, twice monthly, while actively serving as well as a Segal Education Award of $1,538.36